Search This Blog

Pages

The 6 Wardrobe essentials every woman needs

The essentials items in my wardrobe

Over the last two years i have built up a collection of basic items that i reach for every week, and mix with statement/trend pieces in my wardrobe. When I look in my wardrobe there is a sea of black, white and grey but for me these essentials all work for my style and are the perfect base for seasonal print, colour and statement accessories. While the basic six are always there, the styles do change - dress silhouettes vary by season, as do hemlengths on skirts but the item will always be hanging on my rail in some shape or form.

So here are the six essential items i couldn't live without...

My Wardrobe Essentials

SKIRT
A classic skirt is something you can wear for multiple occasions and style with both staples and statement pieces. The one on my rail at the moment is a suedette button down mini from Dorothy Perkins but i have had both midi and maxi styles on my essentials list in the past - pick one that works for you.

STRIPED TEE
Striped Tee's have always been in my wardrobe, but only recently have i appreciated just how versatile a piece it is and just how much i do love to wear. I like to have one with a touch of detail such as a pocket, cute saying or sprinkle of sparkle but plain also works just as well. Both of my current styles are from ASOS and i find they always have great fashionable versions of this basic piece.

BLACK JEANS
Whether you choose skinny, bootcut, straight or flare, a pair of black jeans are essential to any wardrobe. For some traditional blue denim is key, but for me black jeans are my go to and they have to be skinny (i have tried many, many styles over the years and found these to be the most flattering on my shape). Both of my current pairs are from Dorothy Perkins (the only brand i have found who don't assume just because you are a little larger round the middle that you also have tree trunks for legs - which i do not), i have one pair of super skinny jeggings and a distressed pair of relaxed fit skinny's.

CAMI / VEST
A rainbow of cami/vest style tops, perfect for under dresses and knitwear or layering under tshirts. Personally I tend to get mine from Primark, as I like the fit (plus they are a bargain at less than £3 each) but Gap, M&S and Next also offer a great selection. 

LIGHTWEIGHT KNITWEAR
The lightweight Knit, a cooler day essential but still handy to have in the summer. I have always gone for chunky knits and struggled when it came to layering up under a winter coat, usually because i am too hot, then i found the perfect jumper in Topshop (oversized, low v neck and contrast sleeves) and it changed my outlook on knitwear forever... Sadly that jumper had to be replaced last year as it was so worn, it was looking bobbly however the new version in Topshop this year was the perfect replacement. I like to choose a style that is well made and has a little bit of detailing - this can be a ribbed panel, stitched detail or even contrast sleeves.

EVERYDAY DRESS
My final essential is an everyday dress, the style depends on your taste and shape but choose something simple and  classic style that works for every occasion. My choice is a black jersey tshirt dress I found on ASOS, it looks great layered with jackets, kimonos or chunky cardigans and is perfect for work or chilling at the weekend.

One further note: If you find the perfect essential piece and it comes in other colours - BUY!
I have bought seasonal colours of my skinny jeggings, as i know these fit me so well and my ASOS black dress also came in a gorgeous floral print and has fast become one of my favourites to wear in the summer.

What are your essentials?
Leave me a comment if you would like to see my accessory essentials too..

Don't forget to follow me on Bloglovin' to keep up to date with new posts!

4 comments

  1. Perfect pieces!

    www.lifeisjustrosie.tv

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree on these. I would add black/grey/nude coat and nude court shoes!
    http://www.yukovablog.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coat is a good shout....shoes for me is a whole other post! A girl can never have enough pairs of those!

      Delete
  3. Definitely great essentials! xx adaatude.com

    ReplyDelete

Blog Series

1 Item - 4 Ways

Home

Style Spotlight

How to Wear

Blog Archive

Follow Me ♥

Inspiration

“Playing dress-up begns at age five and never really ends.”
– Kate Spade